Heavenly Cheese Grits
- Yield: 8 servings
- 4cups boiling water
- 1cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- 6tablespoons butter
- 1cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1tablespoon sherry
- 1 1/2teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1-- egg, beaten
- 1/4cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Combine the boiling water, grits and salt in a saucepan and mix well. Cook over low heat until most of the water is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, 1 cup cheese, sherry, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. Fold in the egg. Spoon into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake at 300F for 1 hour or until bubbly. May be prepared 1 day in advance and stored, unbaked, in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before baking.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Cobb-Marietta’s Southern on Occasion (The Junior League of Cobb-Marietta, Inc., 1998).