Heath Bar Brunch Cake
- Yield 12 servings
"I received this recipe for Heath Bar Brunch Cake from a neighbor 46 years ago.It goes to every family reunion, every family gathering and is a favorite to give at Christmas time."
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 to 5 Heath bars, chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Generously grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Mix together the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, margarine, vanilla, and salt. Set aside 3/4 cup of this mixture to use for the topping. To the remaining flour mixture, add the buttermilk, egg, and baking soda. It will be lumpy, but do not use an electric mixer. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- To the reserved flour mixture, add the Heath bars and pecans. Spread evenly over the top of the batter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the center is done.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen:
You can substitute 8 ounces of Heath Toffee Bits for the Heath bars.
Recipe by Mildred Bielser, Monmouth, Ill.