Hearty Tortellini Soup with Pesto Sauce
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/2package 15-bean soup mix
- 2quarts water
- 1large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1-- (28-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1large garlic clove, minced
- 1-- (7-ounce) box cheese-filled tortellini
- 1-- (16-ounce) bag frozen Italian vegetables (zucchini, cauliflower, carrots, Italian green beans and lima beans)
- -- Salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pesto Sauce:
- 1cup butter or margarin, softened
- 1-- garlic clove, minced
- 1cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4cup fresh basil
- 1/4cup chopped walnuts or pinenuts
- Rinse the beans thoroughly, cover with water, and soak overnight. Drain and place beans in 5-quart stockpot with 2 quarts of water, onion, tomatoes, and garlic. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until beans are tender. Thirty minutes before serving, add tortellini and cook 15 minutes. Add frozen Italian vegetables and cook 15 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a tablespoon of Pesto Sauce on each serving.
- To prepare the pesto sauce. Process all sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League Springfield Publication’s Honest to Goodness(Springfield, Illinois, 1990).