Hearty Tortellini Soup with Pesto Sauce
- Yield 8 servings
Serve with hard, crusty rolls for a complete meal.
- 1/2 package 15-bean soup mix
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 -- (28-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 -- (7-ounce) box cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 -- (16-ounce) bag frozen Italian vegetables (zucchini, cauliflower, carrots, Italian green beans and lima beans)
- -- Salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pesto Sauce:
- 1 cup butter or margarin, softened
- 1 -- garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pinenuts
- Rinse the beans thoroughly, cover with water, and soak overnight. Drain and place beans in 5-quart stockpot with 2 quarts of water, onion, tomatoes, and garlic. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until beans are tender. Thirty minutes before serving, add tortellini and cook 15 minutes. Add frozen Italian vegetables and cook 15 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a tablespoon of Pesto Sauce on each serving.
- To prepare the pesto sauce. Process all sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League Springfield Publication’s Honest to Goodness(Springfield, Illinois, 1990).