Hearty Pumpkin Soup
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Pumpkin soup is a great beginning to your holiday meal.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 2 1/2 cups rich chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- -- Sour cream
- -- Fresh chopped parsley
- Saute onion in butter in a large soup kettle or saucepan until soft. Sprinkle with curry powder and saute a few more minutes. Place onion mixture and canned pumpkin in a blender and blend for 1 minute, or blend in a food processor for about 20 seconds. Place pumpkin puree back into the soup kettle and add chicken stock, heating slowly. Blend in salt, pepper, and cream. Do not boil soup after cream has been added. Garnish with sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Eugene’s A Taste of Oregon (Eugene, Oregon, 1980).