Heartwarming Raisin Strudel with Dulce de Leche Drizzle
- Yield 4-6 servings
- Prep 10 minutes
- Cook 20 minutes
Raisins, nuts, chocolate chips and crystallized ginger add a creative twist to classic apple and raisin strudel.
Strudel recipes always hold a special place in my heart. This is the first recipe I learned to make with my mother and grandmother. With today's busy lifestyle, prepared phyllo dough is a freezer staple of mine. Phyllo dough is lower in calories and fat than a pie or tart crust. Raisins, nuts, mini chocolate chips and crystallized ginger add a creative twist to the classic apple and raisin strudel. This recipe is easy and elegant. I hope you enjoy.
- 1 cup California Raisins
- 1 cup toasted, chopped mixed nuts: almonds, pecans, macadamia
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 8 sheets thawed phyllo sheet
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup prepared dulce de leche sauce or premium caramel sauce, divided
- 1 pint premium vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place raisins, nuts, chocolate and ginger in a medium bowl; gently toss to blend.
- On a work surfaced lined with a large damp towel, lay out two phyllo sheets on top of each other; brush lightly with butter. Top with two more phyllo sheets; brush lightly with butter. Repeat layering with remaining phyllo.
- Sprinkle raisin mixtture over the bottom third of the phyllo to within 2 inches of the edges. Drizzle with 1/3 cup of the prepared dulce de leche sauce. Tuck sides of the strudel in. From the filled bottom edge, roll phyllo jellyroll style. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet. Cut 3 slits on the diagonal in the top of the strudel. Brush top with remaining butter.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack 5 to 10 minutes.
- To serve: Slice; place on a dessert plate with a scoop of ice cream. Drizzle dulce de leche sauce over strudel, ice cream and plate. Serve immediately.