Heart-Smart Sweet Potato Muffins
- Yield 12 pieces
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 18 mins
Get your daily servings of whole grains—deliciously.
Watching your cholesterol and weight? These are low in fat, and high in beta carotene and potassium for a healthy heart.
- teaspoon Cooking spray
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup finely grated raw sweet potato
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried pears
- 1 to 2 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Combine whole-wheat flour and next six ingredients (whole-wheat flour through salt) in a mixing bowl.
- Combine milk, egg whites and oil in a separate bowl. Whisk well.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into the well and stir until just combined. Gently fold in sweet potato and pears.
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until centers spring back when touched.
Recipe by Mary Carter.