Heart-Smart Refrigerator Bran Muffins
- Yield 2 dozen
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Get a jump-start on breakfast two ways, first with this make-ahead muffin, then with the nutritious energy of the delicious finished product.
Make the batter in advance, ladle into a sealable plastic container, and refrigerate up to two weeks. This is a great base for all sorts of add-ins. Try shredded carrot, raisins, dried cranberries or pineapple.
- -- Cooking spray
- 2 cups All-Bran cereal
- 2/3 cup wheat bran
- 1 1/3 cups boiling water
- 2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup pasteurized egg substitute
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix cereal and wheat bran in a large bowl. Add boiling water, stir well and set aside 1 hour.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Add 1 cup buttermilk to bran mixture; stir well with a whisk. Add remaining buttermilk, egg substitute, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil and vanilla, stirring until smooth.
- Add flour mixture; stir until a thick batter forms.
- Fill each muffin cup two-thirds full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until puffed and lightly browned.
Recipe by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough.