Healthy Homemade Bread
- Yield 16 servings
Here’s a tasty, healthy bread that’s easy on the budget and easy to make.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rapid-rise yeast
- 2 1/4 cups very warm water (120F-130F)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- Combine whole wheat flour, wheat germ, oats, salt and yeast in a large mixing bowl. Stir in water, honey and oil; beat 2 minutes. Gradually stir in 3 cups bread flour to make a slightly sticky dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead in enough remaining bread flour to make a smooth and elastic dough. Knead 8 to 10 minutes by hand or with dough hook.
- Divide dough in half. Form dough to fit into 2 oiled 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 -inch bread pans; press dough down to fill pan. Smooth top. Cover loaves with a damp towel; let rise in a warm place until double, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and done. Tent with foil last 15 minutes to prevent over browning. Remove from pans and let cool on wire rack.
Recipe by Tanna Richard, Cedar Rapids, Iowa