Healthified Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Yield: 5-6
- 3cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2cup white whole wheat flour
- 2teaspoons baking soda
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 2teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4cups sugar
- 1cup brown sugar
- 1cup (2 sticks) chilled, unsalted butter
- 3/4cup organic virgin coconut oil, chilled (available at natural food stores)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4cup cold, reduced-fat milk
- 4teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2cups mini dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your first five ingredients (all-purpose flour through salt). Stir well. Set aside.
- Using a stand or handheld mixer, cream together sugars, butter and coconut oil until just combined(one to two minutes).
- Add eggs vanilla, and milk to butter mixture and mix on medium-low until well combined (about one minute).
- Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to one day.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (to prevent the bottoms from browning). Place cookie dough in 1 Tablespoon increments onto baking sheet (they will spread; avoid placing more than 12 balls on a standard baking sheet). Refrigerate dough between batches.
- Place cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for 8 to 11 minutes. Remove cookies from oven when they appear slightly under baked. Allow them to rest on the baking sheet; then transfer to wire rack for 30 – 60 minutes. Store in air-tight container for up to three days, or freeze for up to three months.
Katie Newell, healthnutfoodie.com