- Yield servings
This healthy bread is lightly sweetened with honey and raisins.
- 2 -- packets fast-acting dry yeast
- 1/2 cup water, heated to 110F
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese, cream style
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup bran (ready to eat cereal)
- 1 cup oatmeal, uncooked, quick cooking
- 6 cups white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup tepid water for 5 minutes.
- Mix next 8 ingredients together.
- Microwave margarine until it melts.
- Pour into mixer and add 1 cup whole wheat flour, add yeast, add 1 cup white flour at a time and mix until dough is stiff.
- Turn dough out on a floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes).
- Let rise in a warm place (45 minutes to an hour).
- Divide dough into three portions.
- Place into greased pans and cover with a cloth and place in a warm area until double in pan.
- Bake at 375F for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool.
Variation: This recipe also makes great sandwhich buns. Make a small ball and roll flat with a rolling pin. Place onto a greased cookie sheet, cover with a cloth, place in a warm area and let rise until double in size. Bake at 375F for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to cool.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Service League’s West of the Rockies (Grand Junction, Colorado, 1994).