- Yield: servings
- 2-- packets fast-acting dry yeast
- 1/2cup water, heated to 110F
- 2cups boiling water
- 1 1/2cups cottage cheese, cream style
- 2tablespoons margarine
- 2teaspoons salt
- 1/4cup sugar
- 1/2cup honey
- 1cup bran (ready to eat cereal)
- 1cup oatmeal, uncooked, quick cooking
- 6cups white flour
- 1cup whole wheat flour
- 1cup raisins
- 1/2cup sunflower seeds
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup tepid water for 5 minutes.
- Mix next 8 ingredients together.
- Microwave margarine until it melts.
- Pour into mixer and add 1 cup whole wheat flour, add yeast, add 1 cup white flour at a time and mix until dough is stiff.
- Turn dough out on a floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes).
- Let rise in a warm place (45 minutes to an hour).
- Divide dough into three portions.
- Place into greased pans and cover with a cloth and place in a warm area until double in pan.
- Bake at 375F for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool.
Variation: This recipe also makes great sandwhich buns. Make a small ball and roll flat with a rolling pin. Place onto a greased cookie sheet, cover with a cloth, place in a warm area and let rise until double in size. Bake at 375F for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to cool.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Service League’s West of the Rockies (Grand Junction, Colorado, 1994).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 165
- Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 1mg
- Carbohydrate 30g
- Protein 5g