Hazelnut Parmesan Asparagus
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/2pounds asparagus spears
- 2tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2teaspoons chopped fresh basil leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- -- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1cup (4-ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4cup hazelnuts, chopped
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus and rinse under cool water. Place a 10-inch ovenproof skillet in a 500F oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and maintain the oven temperature. Swirl the butter in the hot skillet until melted. Add the asparagus and mushrooms to the melted butter, tossing to coat. Add the basil, salt and pepper and mix to coat. Sprinkle with the lemon juice. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until the asparagus is tender-crisp. Remove to a serving platter and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and hazelnuts.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Wichita Fall’s Now Serving (the Junior League of Wichita Falls, Tx., 2008).