Hazelnut Mushroom Bisque
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1pound hazelnuts in shell, divided
- 1 1/2quarts half-and-half
- 1 1/2pounds mushrooms, chopped
- 8-- garlic cloves, quartered
- 3-- shallots, quartered
- 3cups chicken broth
- 1cup sherry
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- -- Fresh chives or parsley
- Spread hazelnuts on cookie sheet and roast at 275F for 20 minutes.
- Remove shells and coarsely chop hazelnuts.
- In a large stockpot, combine half-and-half, mushrooms, garlic, shallots, and all except 1/4 cup of the nuts.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until mixture is reduced by one half, approximately 1 hour. Cool then puree in food processor.
- While mushrooms are cooking, in separate pan, combine stock and sherry. Boil until reduced by one-half, approximately 20 minutes.
- Combine both mixtures in stockpot and reheat. Season to taste.
- Serve hot, garnish with reserved nuts, chives or parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Rochester’s For Goodness Taste (The Junior League of Rochester, Inc., Rochester, NY, 1991).