Hazelnut Mushroom Bisque
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
This savory bisque is a genuine comvort on a cold winter evening.
- 1 pound hazelnuts in shell, divided
- 1 1/2 quarts half-and-half
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, chopped
- 8 -- garlic cloves, quartered
- 3 -- shallots, quartered
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sherry
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- -- Fresh chives or parsley
- Spread hazelnuts on cookie sheet and roast at 275F for 20 minutes.
- Remove shells and coarsely chop hazelnuts.
- In a large stockpot, combine half-and-half, mushrooms, garlic, shallots, and all except 1/4 cup of the nuts.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until mixture is reduced by one half, approximately 1 hour. Cool then puree in food processor.
- While mushrooms are cooking, in separate pan, combine stock and sherry. Boil until reduced by one-half, approximately 20 minutes.
- Combine both mixtures in stockpot and reheat. Season to taste.
- Serve hot, garnish with reserved nuts, chives or parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Rochester’s For Goodness Taste (The Junior League of Rochester, Inc., Rochester, NY, 1991).