Hash-Brown Potato Soup
- Yield: 12 servings
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1cup chopped onion
- 8cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, partially thawed (such as Ore-Ida)
- 6cups reduced-sodium fat-free vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skimmed milk or 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4cup Greek nonfat plain yogurt
- 1teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped green onion, grated white Cheddar cheese, crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Add hash browns and broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook, covered, 8 to 10 minutes.
- In small bowl, whisk together flour with 1/3 cup evaporated milk. Add to potato mixture with remaining milk. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook, stirring, 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt, salt and pepper. (Don’t boil after adding yogurt.) Stir until well combined. Top with green onions, cheese and bacon if desired.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 170
- Fat 3.5g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 450mg
- Carbohydrate 27g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 7g