Autumn Chicken Fricassee
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4-- Bone in chicken thighs
- 2teaspoons kosher salt
- 1teaspoon black pepper
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1medium brown onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1-- celery stalk, ends trimmed and cut into sticks
- 1-- red apple, cored and cut into wedges
- 4cups unsweetened apple cider
- 1cup chicken stock
- 1-- butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
Rinse chicken and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a three-quart saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add chicken to saucepan and brown for three minutes on each side. Add onion, celery, and apples. Cook uncovered for two additional minutes. Add apple cider and chicken stock, cover and bring to a boil.
When mixture reaches a boil, adjust heat to medium and uncover. Add butternut squash and tilt lid. Continue to boil with lid tilted for five minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes. Remove from heat and serve in bowls. Makes four servings.