Harvest Wheat Berry Salad
- Yield 6 servings
Chewy wheat berries are studded with bits of fruit and laced with a slightly sweet dressing.
- 2 cups uncooked wheat berries
- 1 cup pumpkin seed kernels
- 1 cup chopped apples
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup finely chopped parsely
- Ginger Ale Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup ginger ale
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- To prepare salad, put wheat berries into a large bowl, cover with at least 2 inches of water and set aside to soak at least 1 hour. Drain well.
- Put 7 cups water into a medium pot and bring to a boil. Add wheat berries, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until thoroughly cooked about 40 minutes. (Wheat berries retain a firm, chewy texture when cooked.) Drain and let cool.
- Transfer wheat berries to a large bowl. Add pumpkin seeds, apples, apricots, cranberries and parsley.
- To prepare dressing, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk well. Add to salad ingredients and mix well.
Recipe by Chef Steve Petusevsky.