- 1/2pound carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2pound parsnips, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1pound sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, peeled, halved crosswise and thinly sliced lengthwise to form 1/4-inch thick slivers
- 1cup orange juice
- 3tablespoons potato starch*
- 1/2cup honey
- 1/2cup pitted prunes, coarsely chopped
- 2teaspoons grated gingerroot
- Kosher salt and white pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, combine carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes and onions. Add orange juice and barely enough water to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender. Drain and reserve 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Slowly add potato starch to reserved liquid, blending well.
- Place cooked vegetables in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish or disposable aluminum pan. Pour potato starch mixture and honey over vegetables. Add prunes and grated ginger. Season with salt and pepper. Stir all ingredients together well. Bake, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 50 minutes or until golden brown, sauce is thickened and vegetables are very tender.
*Potato starch is available in the Passover section of your supermarket.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 299
- Fat .62g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 29mg
- Carbohydrate 74g
- Protein 4g