Harvest Vegetable Curry
- Yield 4 servings
Serve this colourful and flavourful main-course vegetable dish over couscous, bulgur or brown rice. The chickpeas and grain complement each other to form complete protein.
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups cubed peeled squash (about 1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small (6-inch) yellow zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 can (19 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger root
- 1 tablespoon curry powder or paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice, couscous, or bulgur
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) or parsley
- Steam carrots and squash for 5 minutes. Add broccoli, red pepper, zucchini and red onion; steam for 5 minutes. Add chickpeas; steam for 3 to 5 minutes or until all vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook gingerroot, curry powder, cumin, garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add broth and lemon juice; simmer, covered, for 2 minutes. Toss vegetables with sauce.
- Serve over hot rice. Sprinkle with coriander or parsley.
Recipes reprinted with permission from Lighthearted at Home: The Very Best of Anne Lindsay by Anne Lindsay (Wiley).