- Yield servings
Double the recipe to serve at your next big gathering!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham
- 1 cup sliced smoked sausage
- 1 1/2 cups Cajun stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounce) tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet. Add the bell pepper, onion, green onions, celery and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add the chicken, ham and sausage and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stewed tomatoes, tomatoes with green chiles, broth, rice, Tabasco sauce, parsley, thyme and salt and mix well. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked through and the liquid is absorbed.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Monroe, Inc., Cooking in High Cotton, the Cotton Country Collection (the Junior League of Monroe, Inc., 2008)