- Yield: servings
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2cloves garlic, chopped
- 1cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1cup chopped cooked ham
- 1cup sliced smoked sausage
- 1 1/2cups Cajun stewed tomatoes
- 1can (10 ounce) tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 1/2cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2cups uncooked rice
- 1/2teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet. Add the bell pepper, onion, green onions, celery and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add the chicken, ham and sausage and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stewed tomatoes, tomatoes with green chiles, broth, rice, Tabasco sauce, parsley, thyme and salt and mix well. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked through and the liquid is absorbed.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Monroe, Inc., Cooking in High Cotton, the Cotton Country Collection (the Junior League of Monroe, Inc., 2008)