- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1/2whole roasted chicken
- 8 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 2medium tomatoes, finely chopped, drained and salted
- 2teaspoons lime juice
- 1can (15 ounce) pumpkin puree
- 5cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno chile, cut into quarters and seeded
- 1teaspoon chili powder
- 2 1/2cups water
- 2teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 flour tortillas (chipotle is preferred)
- 1 1/2cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream (optional)
- Chili powder (optional)
- Chop the chicken, discarding the skin and bones. Combine the chicken, scallions, one of the tomatoes and the lime juice in a bowl and mix well.
- Puree the pumpkin, garlic, jalapeno chile, 1 teaspoon chili powder, the water, kosher salt and pepper in a food processor, Pour 1 cup of the sauce in a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Spread the chicken mixture on one-half of each tortilla and roll up tightly. Place seam side down in a single layer in the sauce in the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and remaining tomato. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly. Remove from the oven and cool for several minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a dusting of chili powder to taste.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Chattanooga, Seasoned to Taste, Savoring the Scenic City (Junior League of Chattanooga 2011)