Harvest Chopped Salad with Pumpkin-Berry Vinaigrette
- Yield 4 servings
The rich, intense aroma of the caramel and pumpkin dressing drizzled over this salad delicately enhances the sweet apples and pears.
- Pumpkin-Berry Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin oil*
- 2 tablespoons raspberry or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup raspberries or chopped strawberries, lightly crushed
- Sea salt or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped Salad:
- 1 (5-ounce) bag field greens
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced (Granny Smith or Fuji preferred)
- 2 medium pears, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 head Belgian endive, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 rib celery, sliced
- 1 (1-pound) block firm or extra-firm tofu, medium diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- To make dressing: In a nonreactive small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Set aside.
- To make salad: Place field greens on a large serving platter or in a bowl; set aside. In a nonreactive large mixing bowl, combine apples and pears with lemon juice to prevent browning. Add Belgian endive, bell peppers, celery and tofu, if using, and toss to combine. Add vinaigrette and toss to coat. Arrange marinated fruit mixture over greens and garnish with walnuts.