Happy Birthday Chocolate Cupcakes
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 18 mins
A raisin-studded chocolate cupcake with creamy chocolate frosting.
- 3/4 cup California raisins
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup softened heart healthy vegetable spread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup softened heart healthy vegetable or soy spread
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 12 muffin cups with cupcake papers. Set aside.
- Combine raisins and hot water in food processor or blender; process until smooth. Beat raisin puree together with sour cream, spread and extract in a large bowl until light. Beat in sugar, then egg whites. Add dry ingredients and beat until well mixed. Spoon into lined cups and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool before frosting.
- For frosting, beat together 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar with remaining ingredients until smooth; spread the top of each cupcake with a thin layer. Stir remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar together with a few drops of half-and-half until thick and smooth. Drizzle a swirl on top of each cupcake.
Recipe courtesy of the California Raisin Marketing Board