- Yield 8 to 10 servings
"This soup is delicious and fun to eat. My family makes a game out of finding the peppercorns. We collect all 10 in a small bowl to be certain that no one bites down on one."
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 celery tops
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes
- 3 (14.5-ounce) cans beef consomme, plus 2 cans water
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 peppercorns
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained (optional)
- Melt butter in a large soup kettle. Saute onion. Add beef and cook until slightly browned.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except barley and beans. Bring to a boil. Add barley and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about one hour. Add beans, if using, and heat through. Remove celery tops before serving.
Joan Clare, Harbor Springs, Mich.