Halibut with Tarragon-Lemon Breadcrumbs
- Yield 4 servings
Fillets with a nip of horseradish-spiked mayonnaise and savory crumbs perfumed with tarragon and lemon.
If you don’t like tarragon, try snipped chives or chopped fresh thyme.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
- 1 cup coarse fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (5-ounce) halibut (or cod) fillets
- 4 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat, add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add breadcrumbs, tarragon, lemon rind, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Place halibut on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Combine mayonnaise and horseradish; spread over each fillet. Top with crumbs, patting lightly to help them adhere. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until fish is tender and crumbs are golden.
Wine Pairing: Toast this gorgeous dish with a glass of sparkling wine from Spain, such as Segura Viudas Brut Reserva ($10), which offers citrusy notes that will mesh well with the lemony angle in this dish. —Wini Moranville, Relish wine columnist