- Yield servings
Serve up fish fillets with Latin flavors.
"I lived in Alaska for many years, and every summer we ate fresh-caught halibut from Kachemak Bay."
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 6 inch thick) halibut filets
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute until tender. Add water and picante sauce and bring to a boil. Add rice. Cover and simmer over low heat until rice in tender. There should be some water left in the pan.
- Rinse halibut filets and arrange on top of rice in pan. Sprinkle with cilantro. Cover and simmer until halibut flakes easily with a fork, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Serve rice and halibut topped with tomatoes, cheese, sour cream and green onions.
—Carol Cunningham, Hot Springs, Ark.