Haitian Vegetable Stew (Legume)
- Yield 6 servings
Serve this low-calorie Caribbean-style vegetable stew with soft polenta.
- Seasoning Mix:
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, heavy stems removed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 scotch bonnet chili or jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable Stew:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 chayote squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth, plus more as needed
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- To make seasonings: In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, process all ingredients 1 minute, scraping down side of work bowl. Alternately and more authentically, you can mash the ingredients with a mortar and pestle until smooth. Set aside.
- To make vegetables: Heat the oil in a large nonreactive saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, chayote squash, eggplant and cabbage. Saute 3 to 4 minutes. Add coconut milk and 3 cups water or broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until soft. Add tomatoes and continue to simmer. You can add additional water or broth if vegetables begin to absorb too much and look a bit dry.
- Add seasonings to simmering vegetables and cook 1 minute. Mash vegetables together with a potato masher or large fork until coarsely mashed. Season with additional salt, if needed.