Haitian French Bread
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1/4pound plus 2 tablespoons, butter
- 2teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1medium onion, finely chopped
- 2tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 8ounces Monterey Jack cheese, sliced
- 1loaf French bread
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in saucepan. Simmer until onions are soft.
- Slice bread diagonally about 1-inch thick. Do not cut through the bottom crust.
- Spoon butter mixture in between slices. Stuff each cut with cheese. Wrap in foil, leaving part of the top exposed.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from theAssociation of Junior Leagues International’sTidewater on the Half Shell (Norfolk, Va., 1985).