Gulf Coast Greek Salad with Grilled Shrimp
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 3 mins
Sweet grilled shrimp star in this salad from Lulu's Restaurant in Gulf Shores, Ala.
- 1 pound large shrimp, shells on
- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 head romaine lettuce, rinsed, dried and coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup kalamata olives
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Peel shrimp, leaving tails intact. Toss shrimp with 1 tablespoon olive oil and Creole seasoning. Thread shrimp on skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak them in water before you grill).
- Heat the grill. Place shrimp skewers on grill and cook 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Combine lettuce, onions, olives, green and red bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumber and cheese in a large salad bowl.
- Whisk together remaining 6 tablespoons olive oil, oregano, lemon juice and pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle on top of lettuce mixture and toss. Divide among 6 plates and top with grilled shrimp.
Recipe adapted with permission from Crazy Sista Cooking by Lucy Anne Buffett (Wimmer Cookbooks, 2007).