Grown-Up Candied Carrots
- Yield servings
Honey and cumin give these carrots a complex flavor.
"Remember the candied carrots of our childhood? That dish was an array of carrots and marshmallows baked in a pan. It was sweet, but sugary-sweet. I had one grandma who used both corn syrup AND marshmallows. All the kids loved that. But I decided to develop a grown-up version of this favorite. The good part is, kids will love it too."
- 2/3 cup orange blossom honey (Note: you can use regular honey but this is better)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut bite-sized on the bias
- 2 tablespoons cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in a saucepan. Add honey, salt, and then stir. Add carrots. Cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has mostly evaporated and the carrots are tender. Turn off heat.
- Add cumin, olive oil, and lemon juice and stir.
– Chuck Mallory, Chicago, Ill.