- 1pound Laura’s Lean Beef 96% Lean Ground round
- 6 acorn squash
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1cup onion
- 1/4teaspoon each allspice, cloves and cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon orange peel
- 1pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2cup currants
- 1/4cup red wine
- 4ounces fresh multigrain bread crumbs
- 1/4cup slivered almonds, blanched
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 375F. Cut each acorn squash in half (stem to tip). Scoop out the seeds and pulp and discard.
- While squash cooks, heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add beef to skillet and cook until all pink is gone. Sprinkle allspice, clove, cinnamon, orange peel and red pepper flakes all over the beef and cook briefly, until fragrant.
- Stir in currants and deglaze pan with red wine. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Stir in bread crumbs, almonds, eggs and most of parsley (reserve some for garnish).
- Remove squash and turn cut-side up. Divide beef filling evenly among squash.
- Return to oven for about 15 minutes. Remove, sprinkle with salt, pepper and any remaining parsley and serve immediately.
Free recipe courtesy of Laura’s Lean Beef.