- Yield 8 to 10 servings
Add a little spice to your grits.
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 6 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
- Tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring the milk, butter and saltt almost to a boil in a heavy saucepan and stir in the grits. Cook until thickended, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in the Gruyere cheese and Tabasco sauce; beat with a mixer for creamier grits. Spoon into a buttered 2-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350F for 15 to 30 minutes or until set. Broil for 5 minutes to brown the top.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Louisville’s Splendor in the Bluegrass (Junior League of Louisville, KY 2000).