Grilled Whole Turkey with Lime
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1-- (12-pound) turkey
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- -- Juice of 6 limes
- 2tablespoons orange juice
- 2tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- -- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Have butcher butterfly turkey. Cut off excess skin and fat. Rinse and pat dry. Insert meat thermometer in thickest part not touching bone.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Add lime juice, orange juice, oregano, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Place turkey, skin side down, on oiled grill about 6 inches above heat. Mop turkey with lime mixture.
- Grill for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat thermometer reads 170 degrees, turning and basting with lime mixture every 15 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Great American Opportunities, Inc., Quick & Easy Grilling, (Great American Opportunities, Inc., 2003)