Grilled Vietnamese Beef Salad
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 35 mins
A relish of raisins, peanuts, sesame and cilantro dresses up this steak salad.
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped gingerroot
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 beef shoulder tenders (about 5 ounces each)
- California Golden Raisin Relish:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted peanuts
- 6 tablespoons California golden raisins
- 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 cups reserved marinade
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sriacha hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 6 quarts water
- 12 ounces rice noodles
- 6 cups (12 ounces) mesclun
- 1 cup shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 cup carrots, cut into matchstick-size pieces (julienne)
- 1 1/2 cups cups diced cucumber
- Marinade: Combine ingredients in large mixing bowl; mix well. Reserve 2 cups for vinaigrette. Stir beef into remainder and divide into 2 large resealable plastic bags. Allow to stand in refrigerator overnight.
- Relish: Combine ingredients in bowl and stir well. Set aside.
- Vinaigrette: Strain 2 cups reserved marinade into small saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat; reduce to 1 1/2 cups. Cool. Combine hoisin, mustard, hot pepper sauce and rice vinegar in blender. With blender running on high, add reduced marinade in a slow steady stream until emulsified. Set aside.
- Salad: Bring salted water to rapid boil. Cook noodles according to package directions. Rinse in cold water; drain well. Set aside. Toss mesclun, cabbage, carrots and cucumber together in a large bowl; chill.
- To Serve: Grill beef on very hot grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side until completely marked and done (145F medium rare). Let rest for 5 minutes. Slice very thin and set aside.
- Divide noodles and mound in centers of 6 individual plates. Top each with a portion of greens and arrange sliced beef along side. Add 2 tablespoons relish and drizzle all with vinaigrette.
Recipe courtesy of the California Raisin Marketing Board