Grilled Veggie Panini
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 asparagus spears
- 1/2medium sweet onion, julienned
- 1/2medium red pepper, julienned
- 1/2large Portobello mushroom, sliced thin
- Cooking spray
- 8slices crusty Italian or French whole-grain bread, sliced thin
- 4ounces Swiss cheese, grated (can substitute low-fat mozzarella)
- 8 basil leaves
- 2cups spring mix
- 2tablespoons pistachios, chopped
- Balsamic vinegar or low-fat Italian dressing for dipping (optional)
- Heat a grill or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle oil over the asparagus, onion, red pepper and mushrooms, then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Grill veggies until they are tender and grill marks appear, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spray one side of each slice of bread with cooking spray. Place one slice of bread cooking sprayed side down on grill. Immediately assemble ingredients on top of bread as follows: 1/2 ounce of cheese, 2 basil leaves, ¼ of roasted vegetable mixture. Top with 1 ounce of cheese and slice of bread with cooking spray side facing up. Grill each side until browned or grill marks appears and cheese is well melted. Remove top slice of bread, top sandwich with ¼ spring mix and sprinkle ¼ of chopped pistachios on top. Put back slice of bread.
- Serve with small bowl of balsamic vinegar or low-fat Italian dressing for dipping.
Recipe courtesy of Produce for Kids
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 520
- Cholesterol 30mg
- Sodium 470mg
- Fiber 10g