Grilled Veggie Panini
- Yield 4 servings
Your family won't miss the meat in this veggie packed panini.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 asparagus spears
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, julienned
- 1/2 medium red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 large Portobello mushroom, sliced thin
- Cooking spray
- 8 slices crusty Italian or French whole-grain bread, sliced thin
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, grated (can substitute low-fat mozzarella)
- 8 basil leaves
- 2 cups spring mix
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, chopped
- Balsamic vinegar or low-fat Italian dressing for dipping (optional)
- Heat a grill or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle oil over the asparagus, onion, red pepper and mushrooms, then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Grill veggies until they are tender and grill marks appear, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spray one side of each slice of bread with cooking spray. Place one slice of bread cooking sprayed side down on grill. Immediately assemble ingredients on top of bread as follows: 1/2 ounce of cheese, 2 basil leaves, ¼ of roasted vegetable mixture. Top with 1 ounce of cheese and slice of bread with cooking spray side facing up. Grill each side until browned or grill marks appears and cheese is well melted. Remove top slice of bread, top sandwich with ¼ spring mix and sprinkle ¼ of chopped pistachios on top. Put back slice of bread.
- Serve with small bowl of balsamic vinegar or low-fat Italian dressing for dipping.
Recipe courtesy of Produce for Kids