Grilled Vegetable Sandwich
- Yield 4 servings
An open-face eggplant melt for more than the vegetable lover.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- -- Salt to taste
- 2 -- red bell peppers, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- -- French bread
- 1 cup (4-ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brush 2 baking sheets with olive oil. Mix the remaining olive oil and garlic in a bowl. Arrange the eggplant slices on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with some of the garlic oil. Sprinkle with salt. Bake at 450F for 10 minutes.
- Combine the bell peppers, 1 tablespoon garlic oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Turn the eggplant slices over. Arrange the bell pepper slices on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the vegetables with thyme. Bake at 450F for 15 to 20 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender. Cut the bread into 4 pieces; split open. Brush the bread with the remaining garlic oil. Broil the bread 6 inches from the heat source until golden brown. Remove from the broiler. Top the bread with eggplant, bell peppers and cheese. Return to the broiler. Broil until the cheese melts.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Jacksonville’s Toast of the Coast (The Junior League of Jacksonville, Inc., 2005).