Grilled Vegetable Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
This is based on a salad I get at my favorite restaurant in L.A., the Ivy.
- 1cup olive oil
- 1/2cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4teaspoon sugar
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 zucchini, trimmed and diced into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into squares
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into squares
- Fresh corn kernels scraped from 2 ears
- 1cup diced eggplant
- 6stalks of asparagus, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 4cups mixed torn lettuce leaves (use several varieties)
- 1medium tomato diced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1pound grilled shrimp or chicken (optional)
- Prepare a grill with medium-hot coals or preheat the broiler.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, sugar, basil, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Create a basket by folding up the edges of a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, red and yellow bell peppers, corn, eggplant, and asparagus. Add olive oil and toss to coat. Spoon vegetables into the foil basket. Place the basket on the grill and cover the grill, or place 5 inches from broiler. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly tender, about 15 minutes.
- Season with 1/4-teaspoon salt. Arrange lettuce leaves in individual serving bowls. Place tomatoes and avocado slices on top. Add vegetables and the shrimp or chicken, if using, either still hot or at room temperature.
- Whisk dressing again and pass at the table.
Naomi Judd, Franklin, TN
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 1
- Calories 690
- Fat 64g
- Saturated Fat 9g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 7g
- Monounsaturated Fat 45g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 460mg
- Potassium 980mg
- Carbohydrate 32g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugars 9g
- Protein 6g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 120%
- Vitamin C 270%
- Calcium 6%
- Iron 15%