Grilled Vegetable Salad
- Yield 4 servings
This is based on a salad I get at my favorite restaurant in L.A., the Ivy.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 zucchini, trimmed and diced into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into squares
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into squares
- Fresh corn kernels scraped from 2 ears
- 1 cup diced eggplant
- 6 stalks of asparagus, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups mixed torn lettuce leaves (use several varieties)
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1 pound grilled shrimp or chicken (optional)
- Prepare a grill with medium-hot coals or preheat the broiler.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, sugar, basil, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Create a basket by folding up the edges of a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, red and yellow bell peppers, corn, eggplant, and asparagus. Add olive oil and toss to coat. Spoon vegetables into the foil basket. Place the basket on the grill and cover the grill, or place 5 inches from broiler. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly tender, about 15 minutes.
- Season with 1/4-teaspoon salt. Arrange lettuce leaves in individual serving bowls. Place tomatoes and avocado slices on top. Add vegetables and the shrimp or chicken, if using, either still hot or at room temperature.
- Whisk dressing again and pass at the table.
Naomi Judd, Franklin, TN