Grilled Vegetable Gazpacho
- Yield: 4 servings
- 12ounces ripe but firm plum tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 green bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 small red onion, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 4 to 6tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2slices white bread, soaked in water for 10 minutes, then squeezed out
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2cups water
- 1tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 4 fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3tablespoons ketchup, or 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Brush the tomatoes, bell peppers, and onion with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Grill the vegetables on a hot grill for 10 minutes, turning occasionally until lightly charred all over. Let cool.
- When cool, remove the skins and dice the vegetables finely. Place in large bowl, reserving 2 tablespoons of the diced vegetables. Crumble the bread into the bowl, then add the cucumber, garlic, vinegar, water, oregano, basil, cumin, and remaining 2 to 4 tablespoons of oil (use 2 tablespoons for a lower-fat marinade). Add sugar and ketchup and leave to marinate for at least 6 hours in the refrigerator.
- Blend to a fine purée in a blender or food processor. Strain through a coarse strainer. Serve well chilled, in individual bowls, with the reserved vegetables, salt and black pepper to taste, and a few croutons sprinkled on top.
- Garnish with basil leaves.
Recipe courtesy of The Lanesborough, London, England. Published in Best in the World II, Jennifer Keller, R.D., editor, courtesy of The Cancer Project
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 213
- Fat 14.4g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 376mg
- Carbohydrate 20g
- Fiber 2.3g
- Sugars 9.2g
- Protein 3g