Grilled Turkey Sandwiches
- Yield 6 servings
Make extra lemon-herb mayonnaise to use on other types of sandwiches.
- Lemon Herb Mayonnaise:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh marjoram, or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Turkey Sandwich:
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds uncooked turkey breast slices (1/4-inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 sesame hamburger buns, slices
- 6 large butter lettuce leaves, washed, dried, crisped
- 1 large firm ripe tomato, cored, cut crosswise into 6 slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
Lemon Herb Mayonnaise:
- Mix the mayonnaise, marjoram and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Coat the turkey slices with the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Place on a grill 4 to 6 inches above hot coals. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until white in the center and cooked through. Turn the turkey once during cooking.
- Place the buns, cut side down, on a cooler section of the grill. Cook until lightly toasted.
- Set the toasted buns on a work surface.
- Place 1 lettuce leaf, 1 turkey slice and 1 tomato slice on the bottom half of each bun. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with the lemon herb mayonnaise and the top half of the bun.
NOTE: You may coat the turkey with the olive oil and lemon juice up to 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Eugene, Oregon, Cooking from the Coast to the Cascades (Junior League of Eugene, Oregon, 2002).