Grilled Tuna with Honeydew Salsa
- Yield: 2 to 4 servings
- Honeydew Salsa:
- 2cups finely chopped honeydew melon
- 2tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3tablespoons finely minced red onion
- 1-- mild jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 2tablespoons fresh mint leaves, minced
- 1teaspoon freshly grated gingerroot
- 1/8teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3cup soy sauce
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1tablespoon freshly grated gingerroot
- 1tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 to 2pounds tuna, preferably in 1 steak or cut into 1-inch thick steaks
- For the salsa, combine the honeydew melon, lime juice, onion, jalapeno chile, mint, gingerroot and white pepper in a bowl and mix well. Chill, covered, for 30 to 90 minutes. (Serve the salsa within 2 hours of preparing for the best flavor and texture.)
- For the tuna, combine the soy sauce, olive oil, gingerroot and garlic in a bowl and mix well. Add the tuna. Marinate, covered, in the refrigreator for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Drain the tuna, discarding the marinade. Place on a grill rack. Grill over high heat for 5 minutes for slightly rare steak or for 7 minutes to 8 minutes for desired doneness, turning once. (Do not overcook as the tuna will continue to cook after being removed from the grill.)
- To serve, spoon the salsa over the tuna.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Greater Covington’s Roux To Do (Junior League of Greater Covington, Louisiana, 2004).