Grilled Thai Steak Noodle Bowl
- Yield 4 servings
Serve this room-temperature, easy-to-assemble supper throughout the summer.
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 rib-eye, strip loin or top sirloin steak (about 12 ounces)
- 1 (6-ounce) package vermicelli rice noodles (maifun)
- For Serving:
- 4 large green or red leaf lettuce leaves, separated, washed and dried
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced into thin crescents
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, stemmed
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, stemmed
- Sriricha or other hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- To make dressing, combine fish sauce, lime juice, water, sugar, garlic, shallot and ginger in a small bowl and stir until sugar dissolves. Put steak in a shallow bowl, pour in 1/4 cup of dressing and marinate 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Preheat grill for high heat. Lift steak from marinade, pat dry and grill for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing it into very thin strips.
- To serve, tear lettuce into the bottom of 4 bowls. Add noodles and add carrots, cucumber, cilantro and mint. Top with steak and dressing. Add a splash of sriricha, if using.