Grilled Tenderloin with Gingered Jezebel Sauce
- Yield: 6 servings
"Jezebel sauce traditionally has dry mustard in the recipe. This sauce is different because it calls for fresh ginger instead."
- Marinade and meat:
- 1/2cup light soy sauce
- 2tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2tablespoons sherry (optional)
- Fresh rosemary (optional)
- 3pounds pork tenderloin
- Jezebel sauce:
- 1/3cup apple jelly
- 2tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, onions, sherry, and rosemary in a shallow dish or a zip-lock bag. Add the pork, and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- While the pork is marinating, prepare the sauce. Microwave the preserves and jelly until melted, or melt them over low heat in a saucepan. Stir in the horseradish and ginger.
- Remove the meat from the dish, and discard the marinade. Grill the pork, with the grill lid closed, over medium-high heat (350 to 400 degrees) for 25 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees. Turn once, basting with 1/2 cup of the sauce. Grill for another 5 to 10 minutes, until center temperature reaches 160 degrees. Slice and serve with the remaining sauce and fresh rosemary.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen:
The Jezebel sauce can be made a few days ahead if desired. If pineapple preserves can’t be found, use crushed pineapple in very heavy syrup (well-drained).
—Janey Stubbs, Starksville, Miss.