Grilled Steak Sandwich with Mushroom Spread
- Yield 4 servings
Tender cuts of grilled steak and a savory mushroom sauce star in these tasty sandwiches.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices sourdough or crusty Italian bread
- 8 ounces grilled steak (about 12 slices) or boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups trimmed arugula or spinach leaves
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat butter until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until browned and liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt, thyme and pepper.
- Spread each slice of bread with about 2 tablespoons of the mushroom mixture. Top 4 of the slices with steak, onion and arugula, dividing evenly. Cover with the remaining bread slices.