Grilled Steak Sandwich with Mushroom Spread
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 1/2teaspoon minced garlic
- 8ounces white button mushrooms, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/8teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8slices sourdough or crusty Italian bread
- 8ounces grilled steak (about 12 slices) or boneless chicken breast
- 1/2cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2cups trimmed arugula or spinach leaves
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat butter until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until browned and liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt, thyme and pepper.
- Spread each slice of bread with about 2 tablespoons of the mushroom mixture. Top 4 of the slices with steak, onion and arugula, dividing evenly. Cover with the remaining bread slices.