Grilled Spice-Rubbed Vidalia Onions
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 2 mins
- Cook 5 mins
Vidalias, Mauis, 1015 Texas Sweets or Walla Wallas, use whichever favorite sweet onion you desire for these grilled version of onion rings.
"These tasty onion rings never hit the deep fryer—they get their flavor and crust from the spice mix and a turn on the grill," notes Chef Bobby Flay.
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 Vidalia onions, cut into 1/4-inch thick slice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Heat the grill to medium-high.
- Whisk all the seasonings together in a small bowl.
- Brush onion slices on both sides with oil. Rub one side of each slice with seasoning mixture and place rub side down on grill. (You’ll have some spice rub leftover.)
- Grill until golden brown and a crust has formed, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and continue grilling until just thoroughly cooked, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Recipe by Bobby Flay.