Grilled Skirt Steak and Horseradish Sandwich
- Yield: 2 servings
- 12ounces skirt steak
- 1/2cup Skirt Steak Marinade (recipe follows)
- 2slices ciabatta bread, about 6 x 4 inches, sliced down the middle
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2tablespoons horseradish (or more, to suit your taste)
- 2 handfuls of rocket
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the marinade
- 1/2cup olive oil
- 1tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2tablespoons Sprite or 7−Up (the phosphoric acidwill tenderize the meat to melt in the mouth)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- To make the marinade, dump all the ingredients in a blender and blend until combined.
- Trim any excess fat off the steak, rub it with the marinade, and place it in a zip-top bag or covered container in the refrigerator for at least 2 but no more than 8 hours; more than that and the meat will turn mushy when it cooks.
- Fire up the grill and let it get hot, or place a grill pan or cast-iron pan or over high heat for 5 minutes. Remove the steak from the marinade, scrape off any excess herbs and garlic, season it liberally with salt, then grill the meat to your liking. Medium-rare will take about 1 minute per side.
- Toast the bread if you want, or simply butter the bloody stuff. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and horseradish to your desired spiciness.
- Build up your sandwich by slathering the horseradish mayo on the bottom slice of bread, then put down a bed of rocket, followed by your meat and the top slice of bread.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Cooking, Blokes & Artichokes © 2016 by Brendan Collins, Kyle Books