Grilled Sicilian Vegetables with Lemon
- Yield: 2 servings
You can use 2 Sicilian eggplants, the small ones that can be found in most Italian markets, instead of 1 medium traditional one.
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4teaspoon crushed dried red chili flakes
- Salt, to taste
- 1head fennel (anise), fronds and stalks trimmed, bulb sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1medium eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1small zucchini, cut into thin rounds
- 1 plum tomato, halved
- 1head radicchio, cut into this wedges
- 4 oyster mushrooms
- 2tablespoons chopped unsalted pistachios
- 1 lemon, halved
- Combine oil, lemon juice, oregano, chili flakes and salt in a nonreactive bowl. Add fennel, eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, radicchio and mushrooms; toss to coat.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Place fennel on grill first as it takes longest to cook. After about 1 minute, add remaining vegetables. Grill 2 to 3 minutes per side until lightly browned and tender.
- Arrange grilled vegetables on a platter and sprinkle with pistachios. Garnish with lemon halves.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 214
- Fat 12g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 40mg
- Carbohydrate 27g
- Fiber 10g
- Protein 7g