Grilled Sicilian Vegetables with Lemon
- Yield 2 servings
Sicilian food is based on local ingredients and is very different from other regional Italian cuisine. It is home cooking with flavors that, although simple, are explosive.
You can use 2 Sicilian eggplants, the small ones that can be found in most Italian markets, instead of 1 medium traditional one.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- -- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried red chili flakes
- -- Salt, to taste
- 1 head fennel (anise), fronds and stalks trimmed, bulb sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 small zucchini, cut into thin rounds
- 1 -- plum tomato, halved
- 1 head radicchio, cut into this wedges
- 4 -- oyster mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped unsalted pistachios
- 1 -- lemon, halved
- Combine oil, lemon juice, oregano, chili flakes and salt in a nonreactive bowl. Add fennel, eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, radicchio and mushrooms; toss to coat.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Place fennel on grill first as it takes longest to cook. After about 1 minute, add remaining vegetables. Grill 2 to 3 minutes per side until lightly browned and tender.
- Arrange grilled vegetables on a platter and sprinkle with pistachios. Garnish with lemon halves.