Grilled Shrimp and Scallop Fajitas
- Yield 4 servings
A delicious way to combine the flavors of shrimp with your favorite Mexican dish.
- 12 large (16-20) shrimp, peeled and deveined, about 3/4 pound
- 8 (12 inch) skewers
- 12 sea scallops, about 3/4 pound
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 20 squares
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into eights, seperated
- 1 large green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 20 squares
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 (7 to 9-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- Red & Green Salsa
- 2 firm-ripe avocados, peeled, seeded and chopped into small squares
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups prepared salsa
- Thread shrimp, red pepper and half the onion onto 4 skewers, running skewer through each shrimp twice. Thread scallops, green pepper and remaining onion onto 4 more skewers. Place skewers on a large, shallow platter.
- Combine lime peel, lime juice, oil, honey, garlic, pepper and salt. Pour over skewers and marinate, turning occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes.
- To make salsa, toss avocado with lime juice and gently stir into the prepared salsa. Let stand 20 minutes or refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Coat grill rack with vegetable cooking spray. Heat grill.
- Place skewers on grill rack 4 to 6 inches above medium-hot coals. Grill, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, just until seafood is opaque. Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and heat on grill.
- To make fajitas, slide portions of the seafood and vegetables off skewers into warm tortillas. Add “red and green salsa” to taste. Roll up tortilla to enclose filling.
Recipe courtesy of The Shrimp Council