Grilled Shrimp and Bread Salad
- Yield 4 servings
Grilled shrimp and a host of summertime veggies get gussied up in our savory bread salad.
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for brushing
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 (8-inch) pita loaves
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into wide strips
- 3 ounces feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 (8-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water 15 minutes
- Prepare grill.
- Whisk together lemon juice, oil, oregano, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour half the dressing into a second bowl.
- Add tomatoes, cucumber and onion to dressing in one bowl.
- Add shrimp to dressing in second bowl. Stir until well coated; marinate at room temperature 10 minutes.
- Lightly brush pitas and bell pepper on both sides with oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Grill pitas until browned and slightly crisp, about 2 minutes on each side, then transfer to a rack to cool (pitas will continue to crisp as they cool). Grill bell pepper until just softened, about 11/2 minutes on each side.
- Thread shrimp on skewers without crowding. Grill until just cooked, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Break pitas into bite-size pieces. Remove shrimp from skewers and gently stir into tomato mixture with pitas, bell pepper and feta. Serves 4.
Recipe by Richie Bronson.