Grilled Shrimp and Bell Peppers
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 5 mins
A surprising pesto with pistachios takes humble seafood skewers to new flavor heights.
These shrimp apps are perfect for tapas, but if sherry isn't the order of the day, here are some wine ideas from Relish wine maven Wini Moranville: "Albariños always make a great match with seafood; conveniently, these elegant, aromatic and often herb-tinged whites mesh well with fresh, green pesto, too. Try Bodegas Terras Gauda’s Abadia de San Campio 2009 Albariño."
- Pistachio-Basil Pesto:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 2 cups loosely packed basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 pounds large (16 to 20 count) shrimp,peeled and deveined
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into large chunks
- To prepare pesto, combine garlic, pistachios, basil, lemon juice and salt in a processor; pulse until nuts are finely chopped. Add olive oil gradually through food chute and process until well combined. Add cheese and pulse 2 or 3 times. Makes about 1 cup.
- To prepare shrimp, heat grill. Thread shrimp on skewers alternately with red bell pepper pieces. Grill 5 to 10 minutes, until done. Serve with pesto (1 tablespoon per serving—you’ll have pesto left over).