Grilled Sausages with Roasted Red Peppers and Onions
- Yield: 8 servings
- 8-- Italian sausages
- 2pints cherry tomatoes
- 6-- yellow peppers
- 6-- yellow onions
- 4-- serrano chile peppers or jalapeno peppers
- 10-- garlic cloves
- 1/4cup balsamic vinegar
- 1cup extra-virgin olive oil
- -- Gray salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2cup freshly chopped basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Fill a medium pot halfway with cold water and add sausages. Bring to a boil and shut off the flame. Let sausages sit in water until water has cooled to room temperature. Remove sausages from water and reserve until ready to grill.
- For the peppers and onions: Halve the cherry tomatoes. Seed and slice the peppers into julienne, peel and slice the onions, soup style. Thinly slice the serrano peppers and the garlic cloves. In a large mixing bowl toss all of the vegetables together with the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour the mix onto a large oven tray and bake for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally so that it cooks evenly. Remove from oven when vegetables are fully cooked and lightly browned. Let cool slightly and stir in chopped basil.
- Grill the poached sausages over a medium-high heat until nicely caramelized