Grilled Romaine BLT Salad
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3/4cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for grilling the lettuce
- 1/2pound blue cheese, crumbled
- 1tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2pound thick-cut maple-smoked bacon
- 4small heads romaine lettuce
- 4medium locally grown tomatoes, sliced
- Whisk together the ¾ cup oil, the cheese, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a glass bowl.
- Place the bacon in a cold cast-iron skillet and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook the bacon until crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Remove the outer leaves from the romaine and discard. Halve the heads lengthwise. Brush with some extra virgin olive oil and grill for 2 minutes per side, until the romaine is wilted and has grill marks.
- To serve, place one romaine half on each plate. Drizzle with a small amount of the salad dressing. Arrange 3 tomato slices over the lettuce. Crumble the bacon over each and dress with the remaining dressing. Serve while the lettuce is warm.
From THE FIRE ISLAND COOKBOOK Copyright © 2012 by The World Wine Guys, LLC published by Atria Books, a division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.