Grilled Portobello Mushroom Salad
- Yield 4 servings
Roquefort cheese and a honey vinaigrette dress portobello mushroom salad.
- Honey Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tablespoon champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Mushrooms and Salad:
- (3 to 4-inch) portobello mushrooms, cleaned with stems removed
- 1/4 cup bacon, chopped (or 1 ounce cooked bacon bits)
- 8 cups mixed baby greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled Roquefort or blue cheese
- Snipped chives, for garnish
- To make honey vinaigrette, whisk together honey and next 4 ingredients; whisk in oil. Set aside.
- Make marinade: In container of electric blender, blend honey, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and 1/4 cup oil until smooth; set aside. Brush mushrooms on both sides with 1-1/2 tablespoons oil; place on indoor grill or in preheated nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook about 5 minutes, turning occasionally, just until tender. Transfer to non-reactive container, gill sides up. Pour marinade over mushrooms; cover and refrigerate 2 to 4 hours, basting with marinade occasionally.
- If using raw bacon, sauté bacon until lightly browned. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside.
- Drain, then reheat mushrooms 1 to 2 minutes on indoor or outdoor grill, turning once.
- In large bowl, toss greens with 1/3 cup (or to taste) Honey Vinaigrette. Divide greens equally among four individual serving plates. Halve mushrooms. Prop one half on the other on each salad. Divide cheese and cooked bacon bits among the salads. Sprinkle with chives.
–Rosell Bocchieri, Loveland, Colo.