Grilled Portobello Mushroom Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- Honey Vinaigrette:
- 2tablespoons honey
- 1/2tablespoon champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon pepper
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3cup honey
- 1/4cup balsamic vinegar
- 3tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/3cup olive oil
- Mushrooms and Salad:
- (3 to 4-inch) portobello mushrooms, cleaned with stems removed
- 1/4cup bacon, chopped (or 1 ounce cooked bacon bits)
- 8cups mixed baby greens
- 1/2cup crumbled Roquefort or blue cheese
- Snipped chives, for garnish
- To make honey vinaigrette, whisk together honey and next 4 ingredients; whisk in oil. Set aside.
- Make marinade: In container of electric blender, blend honey, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and 1/4 cup oil until smooth; set aside. Brush mushrooms on both sides with 1-1/2 tablespoons oil; place on indoor grill or in preheated nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook about 5 minutes, turning occasionally, just until tender. Transfer to non-reactive container, gill sides up. Pour marinade over mushrooms; cover and refrigerate 2 to 4 hours, basting with marinade occasionally.
- If using raw bacon, sauté bacon until lightly browned. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside.
- Drain, then reheat mushrooms 1 to 2 minutes on indoor or outdoor grill, turning once.
- In large bowl, toss greens with 1/3 cup (or to taste) Honey Vinaigrette. Divide greens equally among four individual serving plates. Halve mushrooms. Prop one half on the other on each salad. Divide cheese and cooked bacon bits among the salads. Sprinkle with chives.
–Rosell Bocchieri, Loveland, Colo.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 287
- Fat 23g
- Sodium 306mg
- Carbohydrate 11g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 11g